
Well, it is that time again! Time for me to once again scale the ever growing, ever daunting, Mountain of Books. Yesterday I received the green light from my supervisor to actually start
writing my dissertation. I've spent some time reading and researching practically every day this summer, and now it is time to put my thoughts and research to paper. Roger (my supervisor) is pretty interested in my topic, which is always a good thing! But "the proof will be in the pudding", as they say! (So don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a while... I'll be "dissertating" until August 31st!)
I'm in the library just now doing some reading on Patrick Hamilton, the first martyr of the Scottish Reformation. As I sit here reading about his trial and execution, I can look out the window and see the spot where he was burned at the stake for believing in "justification by faith alone".
A brilliant student here at the University, Patrick was brought to trial for teaching

the core theology of the Reformation which stated that man can do nothing to gain his own salvation. It is only belief in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ that can rescue the soul. After he was found guilty of heresy, he was immediately taken to the stake, which was set up outside of St. Salvator's College, in front of the Tower. (The spot is marked today by a PH in the cobblestones). The execution, which took place on 29 February 1528, was slow and horrific. The wood was damp and the gunpowder, which was used as a fire-starter, burned Patrick but failed to ignite the kindling. While "normal" burnings would last about an hour, with the victim dying of suffocation before being burned, Patrick Hamilton suffered for more than six hours. One observer claimed that he "was more roasted than burned."
He was 23 years old.
St. Andrews lore claims that the face visible in the stones a third of the way up St. Salvator's Tower is that of Patrick Hamilton, looking out over the place of his martyrdom.
Regardless of the lore, his death was a turning point. As one historian writes, "his courage, brilliance, and gentleness provided an inspiration and model." John Lindsay, a witness to the martyrdom, was correct when he forsaw that, "the reek of Master Patrick Hamilton has infected as many as it blew upon." Patrick Hamilton's death sparked a Reformation in Scotland.
Can you imagine, being 23 years old and holding so tightly to your convictions that you are willing to die for them? Can you imagine being 33, 43, 53, or 63?
7 comments:
wow, this history stuff is pretty interesting
I certainly think so! :)
did you take the picture at the top of your blog? its awesome!
Yes I did! That's my St. Andrews from the pier!
I love the pic in your blog header!
Like Wally said, this history stuff is pretty interesting. You posed a great question at the end. I read this entry on the day you posted it. It's just taken me 2 days to get back here and comment. Anyway, on the day I first read it, it was Nelson Mandela's 90th birthday. There was a lot of coverage, including summaries of his life and work. I learned that it was a statement he made, during the trial that resulted in his long imprisonment, that fueled the fight against apartheid and catapulted the issue to the international stage. He said he was so committed to seeing democacy in his country that he was willing to die for it.
I remember thinking, Holy smokes! Do I feel that strongly about ANYTHING?
Later that day I read your post and it got me wondering again.
I have to admit it's pretty hard for me to imagine doing, dying for a cause, especially at Master Patrik's age. I recall the Virginia Tech professor who threw himself against the door to buy time for students to escape the shooter and I really think an older person, who has had a chance to live a full life....I can imagine doing that. But a young person....hmmm...it's hard to imagine.
Then again, most young people don't think of themselves as young.
sorry to ramble...
GOOD Q. Interesting post! Keep 'em coming, as you have time. I'll likely never get to where you are, so I'm enjoying seeing things through your eyes.
Beth! I always get excited when I read your new posts! Wonderful - I'm with Wally also - you share this history and make it come alive (and convict).
Post a Comment