At one point as I looked up from my sixteenth century ballads I caught a glimpse of a Royal Air Force Airman walking down the street. It is not uncommon to see a couple of uniformed airmen in St. Andrews, as Leuchars Air Force Base is so close that I've grown accustomed to the roar of the fighter jets flying maneuvers on a daily basis. I was just musing on the merits of the RAF uniform when a group of four jets, in formation, zoomed by overhead. The fly-over was soon followed by the sound of bagpipes and drums--also not so uncommon, after all, this is Scotland!
What followed was out of the ordinary, for up the street, proceeded by a police escort, marched an RAF unit--complete with kilted pipe and drum corp, white gloves, and bayoneted rifles. The whole procession took all of 7 minutes to traverse the length of the street and turn onto Market Street. (Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera!)
Apparently, in 1968, the Royal Burgh of St. Andrews granted the RAF Station at Leuchars the "Freedom of the City". According to the barrista, the RAF does this little parade every year to demonstrate their right to march in the streets of St. Andrews.
Ah, I love quirky British traditions! Especially when they involve men in uniform!
3 comments:
I love that you were texting me about this in real-time.
Men in uniform = hot. British men = crazy. British men in uniform = crazy hot.
:-D
Here, Here!
Ha ha ha - good for you girl! I admit to liking a man in uniform (even if he's retired from wearing it anymore).
Keep blogging! I check on you everyday!
Post a Comment