Monday, 30 June 2008

Missing REAL Summer

It does NOT feel like summer over here. And that is having detrimental effects on my dissertating! It does not FEEL like July starts today. It feels like the start of May. I must admit that I actually MISS the miserable, humid, sticky, hot Maryland summer! Then at least it would FEEL like summer!

I know, I know, I shouldn't complain about a high of 64 on June 3oth (and 71 on July 1--the hottest day we have had so far). And I never in a million years thought that I would complain! But here I am, lamenting a summer without heat and humidity. What a strange world we live in. These crazy Scots
 think that's hot! Seriously! I'm still wearing a cardigan and they're donning the shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops!

And the heat isn't the only thing I've been missing this summer. Just so you don't think I've got it made here in the good ol' UK, here are some of the things I've been missing about home this summer:

Rides on the Harley
Bloom's Broom Ice Cream ("Rice Pudding" to be exact!)
Starbucks/Barnes & Noble with Amber and Kathy
Summer accessories at Target
The Promenade in Havre de Grace
Teen Boat Building and the Kids Camps by the Bay at the Museum
The Maritime Festival
Shopping trips to Lancaster with Mom
Chick-fil-A and Rita's with Liz
Old Navy flip flops
Lightening bugs
A school-work free summer
DEEP CREEK LAKE
A decent oldies station
Maryland seafood (mostly steamed crabs!)
TGIFriday's restaurant
Movies in a big theater

Further proof that no matter where you go, there are always patches of grass that are greener on the other side...

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh Beth, bless your heart - I know exactly how you feel from all the times Dave and I were far away from home! Hang in there girl. One day in the future you will look back and miss "the days you are living now." Honestly, I feel like there's a little bit of "home" in all the different places we've lived. Thanks again for creating your blog and sharing all this! Love, Cindy

Matt (Mr. T) said...

Well I would like you do know that when you get home we can go on so many Bike rides that you will have to go out and buy yourself a new Butt. You know from great stores like BUTTS'R'US, Rears End, or The Ass Pro Shop. Not to be confused with TOYS'R'US, Lands End, or the Bass Pro Shop.